It isn’t uncommon for single women to travel alone, and more women are starting to branch out on their own to explore new parts of the world on a journey fueled by passion, determination, and wonder. Many of these courageous female nomads enjoy the thrill of choosing their own adventure without the need to consult anyone besides their own desire, and Alaska is a popular destination for those seeking a life different from big cities elsewhere in the United States.
Things to Consider Before Moving to Alaska
Before you pack a bag and hop on the next flight to Anchorage, there are a few points you should consider. Moving to Alaska is a big step, but it can bring so much opportunity and adventure!
Here are some important things to think about before you go:
- Real talk – are you the type who prefers to curl up with a good book rather than go clubbing? Do you prefer solitude and peacefulness over being constantly busy and on the go? If you’re more the self-sufficient type, moving to Alaska could satisfy your wanderlust and enable you to live your best life.
- Do you enjoy outdoor winter hobbies such as hiking, fishing, or hunting? Alaska is filled with an abundance of wildlife and majestic scenery that begs to be explored. If spending time in the cold outdoors appeals to you, moving to Alaska is sure to please (you can always warm your toes by a cozy fire when you head back inside!).
- Due to its location, Alaska can be a bit on the pricey side for things like food and clothing. The brands you wear in the continental US have to be shipped north, so it might be best to do some shopping before your adventure begins. Food-wise, there are lots of amazing restaurants that are worth the price to experience fresh, unique dishes.
- The ratio between men and women in Alaska can be a little daunting at 10:1, but Alaska isn’t like other states. The people you’ll encounter may be different than those you’re used to dating back home. There’s a good chance you’ll meet many like-minded people who share your passion for exploration, adventure, and moving to Alaska.
- You’ve got to have friends! Making friends in Alaska shouldn’t be too difficult, as many people will share the same passions as you. You can build your support system by engaging in various activities and frequenting your favorite restaurants. Joining a hiking group or yoga class are great ways to meet new people and establish a base.
- You’ll need to remain aware of your surroundings and take precautions if you plan to hike or explore on your own. Be sure to have an emergency kit with you and try to let someone else know where you’re going.
Think You’re Ready To Move to Alaska?
If you’re thinking about moving to Alaska, Golden North Van Lines is ready to support you throughout your transition to life in the north. For over 30 years, we’ve helped countless people fulfill their dreams and take on a new part of our great earth. We will help you pack, ship, and unload your belongings at your new home in Alaska. When you’re ready, just give us a call or fill out our form to get started!