Planning for a move isn’t always easy, and there are bound to be situations that pop up without notice and create additional stress. Golden North Van Lines wants to make things a little easier for you and your family, so we’ve compiled a list of the fifteen best moving hacks that you can use to prevent and relieve the usual stress that comes with moving to Alaska. Some of these might leave you wondering why you didn’t think of them earlier, but don’t worry. Stress does weird things to people.
Save time when preparing for your move:
- Book a moving company as soon as you know when you’re moving. This will prevent you from scrambling at the last minute and wasting valuable packing time.
- Pretend you’re moving the day before. If you set your watch ten minutes fast, you’ll never be late, right? Plan your moving schedule so that everything can be completed the day before your move.
- Leave your clothing on the hangers. Do what the dry cleaners do, and wrap a garbage bag around hanging clothes to protect them. You’re going to hang them back up in the new place anyway!
- Take photos of everything you pack and write on the boxes to organize by room. This makes packing the truck more efficient, and unpacking will be a breeze.
- Plan your meals ahead of time. Especially if you have small children or pets, planning out simple meals ahead of time will save you from dirtying extra dishes or running out for pizza.
- Pack an ‘escape bag’ of essentials. Anything you know that you’ll need right away should be kept in a specific bag for easy access. This will save you searching for that pesky phone charger.
Save money by thinking outside the box
- Use household items in place of expensive packing materials. Egg cartons, paper towel rolls, and even that bag of cotton balls under the sink can provide an inexpensive way to secure items.
- Get creative in the kitchen. Using up food in your pantry and freezer makes it easier to move, and saves you from throwing away food that won’t make it to your new place.
- Plan to move during the week. Moving midweek is usually cheaper as there is a higher demand for weekend moves.
- Clean your home thoroughly before you go. Leave a mess behind and you could end up with a cleaning bill from the new occupants or landlord.
- Ask your local grocery or liquor store for their empty boxes. Wine boxes can provide secure pockets for items such as shoes or glassware.
Convenience is key
- If wiring isn’t your thing, take photos of the back of your TV or computer so that you can quickly plug everything back in the way it was at your new place.
- Keep a bowl filled with easy snacks that you and your family can eat on the go while packing so messes are kept to a minimum
- Use your suitcases! Packing up empty suitcases provides you with a wheeled solution for heavy items. Laundry baskets, hampers, and even briefcases can also conveniently store items during your move.
- Leave clothing inside of your dresser. It’s easier to use a dolly than to unpack and repack everything into the same place
Applying these moving hacks should help to ease some of the stress that commonly comes with the territory. Whether you’re moving to Alaska or from Alaska, Golden North Van Lines is here to help you pack efficiently and can provide full support. Contact us by filling out our form.