You’re moving to Alaska? How exciting! No matter what motivates you to make the big move, whether you’re relocating to Alaska for work to fulfill a dream, to satisfy a wanderlust for adventure, or just for a change of scenery, you need to find a way to get all your household items there. Some of the more well-known moving services offer moving containers that are big enough to handle your biggest items, such as queen-sized beds, large screen televisions, large appliances, outdoor gear, and equipment. Ask questions before purchasing any large travel containers, such as how your personal items will be protected against damage from condensation or freezing that can occur as a result of variations in temperature during transport. Because Alaska is vast (twice the size of Texas) and many roads are not paved, the use of ferries, boats, and barges are popular ways to move things around, especially since Alaska is bordered by two oceans and home to 365,000 miles of rivers.
In addition to asking about the containers your personal property will be housed in, be sure to ask how often vessels depart and the estimated arrival time when shipping household goods to Alaska by sea or barge. Find out what will happen to your household items once they arrive at the port. Some other questions to ask are:
- Will the containers be offloaded and left on a dock?
- Is there a warehouse facility where the containers are stored while waiting for pickup?
- What are the storage conditions?
- What is the process for transporting your good to their final destination?
- Are there restrictions on the type of items that can be shipped using a boat or river barge for waterway transportation?
- What kind of paperwork is necessary?
- Is there a way to track the progress of your items?
- How will you be notified when your household items arrive?
Shipping your home goods to Alaska by sea or barge is one way to get the job done when you’re making the move to the Last Frontier. Moving to Alaska is an expensive endeavor and while using an air cargo service is a viable option for small shipments, it is not practical for larger shipments because of the cost. A combination of several types of transportation services will likely be the most effective method of shipping household goods for long distance moves. When using waterways to get your belongings to your new home in Alaska, your shipment will receive extra handling, as the process usually includes:
- Transferring goods to a metal container
- Loading into large wooden crates (known as lift vans)
- Transported to a seaport in Seattle/Tacoma, Washington
- Unloaded at the wharf
- Reloaded onto a container vessel or barge
- Unloaded onto the wharf at the destination port
- Reloaded onto a freight hauler or flatbed truck
- Transported to its final destination (your residence or a personal storage destination)
Are you looking for an experienced, qualified Alaskan mover? Golden North Van Lines is the best choice for your move to Alaska. We provide a cost-effective moving option that offers you peace of mind and time savings, and our team will help you stay organized, avoid injury, and arrive at your destination safely, ready to begin your Alaskan adventure. When you put your trust in Golden North Van Lines, you can rest assured that we’ll treat your household goods as if they were our very own. With offices in both Anchorage and Fairbanks and decades of experience successfully moving households and businesses to and from Alaska, Golden North Van Lines is the Alaska moving company you can trust. If you’re moving to Alaska, contact us today for a free quote and let us help you prepare for a successful move.