Outdoor living in Fairbanks, AK is one of the main reasons why people move to this engaging northern city. The vast Alaskan landscape offers a plethora of outdoor activities for every type of adventurer and boasts some of the most scenic views in the world. Fairbanks encompasses 32.6 square miles of subpolar natural environment and while only 0.81 square miles are water, the Tanana River provides endless opportunities for fishing and other thrilling outdoor activities.
Alaskans spend a lot of time outdoors enjoying the natural environment and exploring untrodden areas. Fairbanks may seem small with a population just over 32,000 people, but you’ll never run out of things to do. From outdoor festivals and walking tours to exhilarating fishing and dog sledding adventures, there is something for everyone to enjoy while taking in the unparalleled scenery of the north.
Outdoor Activities in Fairbanks
There’s no limit to what you can get up to in terms of outdoor living in Fairbanks, AK. Many common activities can be enjoyed year-round, while others take full advantage of the dominant winter season. Either way, you’ll find more than enough to keep yourself occupied while experiencing the joys of outdoor living in Fairbanks, AK.
- Fishing & Ice Fishing. The Tanana River is a great place to make a catch in the summer or set up an ice fishing tent in the winter. The serenity of the wild outdoors makes Fairbanks unlike any place on earth and offers an unforgettable fishing experience.
- Ice Skating. Outdoor skating on a pond or lake is a magical experience. Whether you are practicing figure skating or ice hockey, there’s plenty of fun for your entire family.
- Dog Sledding. If playing with puppies and leading a team of energetic sled dogs is on your bucket list, look no further than Fairbanks (not that you can – Fairbanks is really up there). Dog sledding is a popular activity for those who enjoy spending time with furry friends.
- Snowmobiling. Numerous trails and a winter wonderland at your doorstep offer outstanding snowmobiling opportunities where you can get a feel for the expanse of this subpolar area and enjoy the scenic landscape on a vehicle built for fun.
- Hiking. Known as the gateway to the arctic, Fairbanks boasts endless trails for both beginners and experienced hikers to enjoy. Tour through historic sites in town or explore the UAF trail system. You can witness some amazing views both in and around the city.
- Snowshoeing & Cross Country Skiing. If you’re looking for a peaceful experience where you can enjoy the outdoor air to the fullest extent, snowshoeing and cross country skiing make outdoor living in Fairbanks, AK complete. Go at your own pace and take it all in.
- Northern Lights. Perhaps the most magical experience of all, the Aurora Borealis is something to behold. Residents of Fairbanks are blessed to be able to witness this bright phenomenon in all its colorful glory. Outdoor living in Fairbanks, AK with the Northern Lights above offers a view that few will ever get to experience.
Golden North Van Lines is Ready to Support Your Move
Whether you’re a nature-lover seeking quiet refuge or crave thrilling alpine activities that will keep your adrenaline pumping, Golden North Van Lines is here to help you on your pursuit of outdoor living in Fairbanks, AK. We have been moving individuals, couples, and families to and from Alaska for many years, and have a wealth of knowledge and experience orchestrating the perfect, stress-free move. We can assist with packing, loading, and unloading, and provide secure transport regardless of what corner of the nation you’re moving from. Our goal is to ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible, and we’ll provide the support you need to ensure that you get a good start to your new life in the north. Contact us today to discuss your move to Fairbanks and our team will help jumpstart your next adventure.