Planning a move to Alaska is a big step, and even bigger if you’re moving out of a small apartment. Alaska is vast and you’ll experience a lot of “firsts” once you arrive there, and at Golden North Van Lines, we believe that you should be able to dive right in and enjoy your new life in the north without issue. Before you move to Alaska, there are a number of things to take care of as you move out of your old apartment and set off on your new journey, so we’ve put together a checklist to help get you started.
Move Out Checklist
- Give proper notice. Many rental agreements or leases require 60 days’ notice before moving out, so be sure to let your landlord know so that they can plan ahead and show the property. This will make your move to Alaska a lot less stressful.
- Fix any damage. If you’ve had a lapse or two in judgement and there are a few things to repair, now is the time to head to the hardware store. Golden North Van Lines can provide you with moving services, but we can’t get your rental deposit back for you!
- Pay outstanding utilities. If you have any outstanding tax, electrical, water, or other bills that need to be paid, be sure to take care of them before you move to Alaska. Most municipalities and utility companies are good at tracking down unpaid accounts.
- Start packing and move items out. If you’re doing it yourself, stock up on boxes and other moving supplies. If you want someone else to handle the heavy work, Golden North Van Lines is ready to support you with a full suite of moving services for your move to Alaska.
- Schedule move out inspection. Once the bulk of your belongings have been moved out, contact your landlord for your move out inspection. Be sure that all damage has been repaired and everything is as it was when you moved in – or better.
- We all want to move into a clean place, so we should all clean our old places – or at least that’s how it’s supposed to work. Before you move to Alaska, clean your rental well. You’ll have a better chance of getting your deposit back, and it’s just good manners.
- Return rental items. Things like door keys, mailbox keys, garage remote controls, and other similar rental items should be returned to your landlord or left inside your rental before you move to Alaska. These items are often packed accidentally, so double check!
Moving Services That Support Your Dream
Golden North Van Lines has helped many customers with their move to Alaska by providing unmatched moving services over the years. Our goal is to provide you with the support you need to ensure a smooth, stress-free move so that you can enjoy your new life as soon as you arrive. Our team of expert movers specializes in long moves and our moving services reflect that. We have experienced packers who can assist in the preparation of your belongings to ensure that nothing is damaged in transit. Contact us today to discuss your move to Alaska, and see why our moving services are the best in the business.